The Maribor Regional Museum is a public museum involved in the collection, preservation, examination, exhibition and popularization of movable cultural heritage in the fields of archaeology, ethnology and the wider cultural history throughout the region of Maribor.
The year 1903 is regarded as the museum’s year of birth. The museum’s current collection is the heritage of the collections of three different museums..
The oldest is the collection of sacral art which had been kept in the Diocesan museum, founded in the year 1896 with the synod of Bishop Mihael Napotnik. The second was the collection of the Museum society. In the year 1903, only one year after its foundation, the Museum society opened their museum to the public. The Historical society for the Slovenian Styria, which had been founded in the year 1903, opened its collection to the public in the year 1909 in the premises of Narodni Dom.
The collections of the Museum society and the Historical society for the Slovenian Styria were combined in the year 1920 and in the year 1924 they were joined by the collection of the Diocesan museum. Until the year 1938, the united collections were housed in the premises of the former penitentiary located in Cankarjeva Ulica. In that same year, the museum moved into the premises of Maribor city castle, where it still remains today. .
- Through the museum’s collections, exhibitions, events, knowledge and documents we spread knowledge and interest in the culture and history of our region.
- Special attention is dedicated to our younger visitors, for whom we prepare guided tours in the form of lessons and occasional workshops.
- We also open our premises to other events: concerts, lectures, expert meetings …
- Through our publishing activities we try to make the result of our researches permanently available to the public.